Saturday, March 5, 2011

God is with always with us.....

Please be advised that there are going to be some graphic pictures with this post. These posts are for Jackson and Jonathan to have one day and I didn't want to not include these. Jackson has already seen these pics.

Last Sunday, February 27th, Jackson, Jonathan and Brian were over at a good friend's house hanging out. I was at Dairy Queen meeting with my Discipleship girls, ironically having a study on how to trust God when unexpected things happen in our lives. Jackson was playing with their dog, Jake, and all was well. It was a beautiful day. Kids were playing outside and life was good. Jackson was just about to go play with the other kids and decided to give Jake a hug and that's when everything changed. At that time, Jake bit our Jackson in the face and there was blood everywhere. Brian says that he and Darek heard it (they were in the garage) and ran over to them. Jackson was sitting on the ground with his hands to his face and Jake was away from him...just standing there. Jackson moved his hands away from his face and that was when Brian told Darek to call 911. He literally thought Jackson was going to bleed to death in their driveway...I'm sure he was so scared for our son.

I had just dropped off on of my Discipleship girls off at her house and was headed back home when Shannon called my cell. "where are you?" she asked. "I'm on my way home". Then she said the words that all parents dread to hear..."there's been an accident with Jackson and Jake. We've called 911 but you need to come to our house quickly". I immediately put on my "blinkers" and sped my way through the little town of Chelsea to get on Hwy 11. I prayed like I've never prayed before but really thought he had been bit on the arm or leg - nothing big. I wouldn't allow myself to think anything else. So, I managed to call my other friend in the neighborhood, Leigh Ann, to let her know that I wouldn't be able to run that night because there had been an accident. Unknown to me at the time, she sprinted to Shannon's house to see what was going on - only to really find our Jonathan hiding behind the water heater in their garage crying and shaking. As any amazing friend would do, she scooped him up, made eye contact with Brian and said that she would take Jonathan for the night. She then called me on my cell to say, "Angela, I have Jonathan. You go and take care of Jackson because he will need you to be strong." I asked her what it was and she said those other words you never want to hear, "Angela, they have him covered up so you won't be able to see the wounds. It's his face. the paramedics are there and the ambulance is on the way. He's going to be fine. We are all praying". This is when the tears came and I HAD to get to our baby!! I pulled in the neighborhood behind the firetruck and, when I got out of the car, pulled myself together for our baby (and my husband).

Jackson was doing so good. The paramedics were asking him questions and he really pulled himself together to get through the pain. They bandaged him up and was able to really stop the bleeding. the ambulance came and loaded up Jackson and I went to the front seat. Brian ran home to get the car and he and Darek were right behind us. On the way to the hospital, Jackson did SO good. The paramedic was able to get his IV in and Jackson even held his oxygen for her!! He was able to communicate his level of pain and was in awe to hear the sirens.

When we got to the ER at Children's Hospital, the Dr. felt it would be best to have the Oral Max Facial Specialist on call come to perform the surgery on his face since the wounds were so severe. He had a cleft lip on the upper right lip in addition to a cut to the middle of his lip (right under his nose) and a huge laceration down his left cheek. When it was all said and done, Jackson got over 100 stitches internally and externally to his face. The surgeon did a superb job and we really couldn't be more pleased!!! Jackson did so good on the meds and came out of it all really well.

Here he is before the surgery - poor thing is trying to smile for the pics!
















And here he is after the surgery...thank you, Lord, for guiding the hands of our surgeon!!


















So, it's now 6 days later. We have so much to be thankful for. Jackson has NO damage to his nerves, muscles or tissues. His smile is back and we are just trying to get through the stitches dissolving. We have been so overwhelmed with the amount of love we are receiving from our community, friends and family. The door has been a "revolving door" all week from people bringing food, dinners and Jackson some "get well treats". We are so completely blessed and know that God was with Jackson during this terrible accident and that God is ALWAYS with us.


Some have said, "I know it's hard not to ask WHY during this time". But, honestly, Brian nor I have gone there. We know that it could have been SO much worse (skin grafts, eyesight gone, nose hurt, etc) that we are just so thankful that it is only what it is. Would we want to do it again? Well absolutely not!!! But, God allowed it to happen and has brought all of us closer through this time. We truly have felt for our friends, Shannon and Darek, and know that God will help them get through the guilt that they were feeling. We love them more now than before and know they will always have a special place in our hearts.

Here is Jackson on Tuesday (2 days after the accident):

Thursday: This was his first real "active" day. We went to have breakfast together and ran a few errands. I did notice some drainage from his cheek wound on this day so we went in to the clinic on Friday morning to make sure everything was good. The Dr. was able to get more "stuff" out and none of the stitches were affected by it - whew!
Saturday: His lip is almost completely healed!!!!

3 comments:

Britt Clements said...

Angela, Thank you for sharing your story. There are some things that people just don't want to ask, but we are curious about. Thank you for clarifying the details that I wanted to ask, but couldn't. You all are amazing people. You are absolutely correct that God is always with us- You could never have made it through this without Him. I pray for continued healing.

The Hairstons said...

We have prayed like crazy for you guys!! I am SO thankful that God protected sweet Jackson!

Unknown said...

Praise the Lord for His faithfullness and for parents as you two who "live out" and train up your children in the Word of God.

You know I love you all so much. My boys are precious to me even though I now live further away.

Keep me posted. I'll call you soon and know I am still praying. What a joy and encouragement you are to others as we watch the Hand Of God at work.

Please give both my boys a hug & kiss from Aunt Charlotte. Love you all.