Sunday, October 18, 2009

First Auburn Football game!!

October 17, 2009 was Jackson and Jonathan's first trip to Auburn University for a tailgating experience and football game. Auburn played Kentucky and it was a VERY cold day (following weeks of rain and having everyone wondering how to build an ark). We bundled up and took off - we were hoping for a very memorable day and hoping the boys would love it.

We arrived and hit Tiger Rags for some memorabilia (i.e. AU Beanies for our heads and daddy a wind breaker) then we started walking around campus and took in the sights. First stop....Samford Hall with the Auburn University sign. I've never seen so many people waiting in line to get their pics made in front of a sign before, but I was thankful that a sweet woman offered to take our family pic (only the kindness you would find in Auburn!)......


Maybe in 22 years, we'll have Jackson in the below pic with a cap and gown on....

Jackson is loving his new beanie and it came in VERY handy for the game.....
The boys grabbing a hug for the camera (check out the clouds behind us!!). It was forcasted to be "sunny and 58 degrees" - obviously this wasn't right. Tailgating was a combination of sun, wind, clouds, rain - tents flying and everyone taking cover!!!
Brian and the boys in front of his Freshman dorm. This is a pic for KK and Papa but we are missing the mop and broom (they took Brian's pic here after they dropped him off and he was holding his mop and broom - it's a priceless pic).Jackson's favorite part of the day was getting his face painted!! A couple of HS girls were sitting in front of J&M Bookstore and painting faces for a donation - of course, we sat right down and the boys loved it!!
We met up with our sweet friends, Josh and Susan Chance at the tailgate. It was so good to see them as it's been way too long since our last visit. They have 3 boys and the oldest 2 are the same ages as ours so the little ones had a great time playing together...




We were able to stay with our other special friends, Mr. Mike and Mrs. Judi. They are like a second family to us and it was so fun to share this time with them. Thanks so much for your hospitality!!!
After tailgating, Josh and Susan took me to Mrs. Judi's house to drop off Jonathan with the babysitter (we weren't ready to tackle a game with Jonathan yet - maybe in the next couple of years). They were also very gracious to take me back to campus to meet up with Brian and Jackson so we didn't have to move our car and find another parking spot (THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!) It was a perfect plan and I truly appreciate them doing this for me!!!
I met back with Brian and Jackson and we headed to our seats at the VERY TOP of the stadium - I'm not kidding!! There were NO seats above us and my thighs are feeling it today!!! It was really good though because Jackson could stand up and not bother anyone....I'd sit there again - if we couldn't have box seats - ha ha. We bundled up and geared up to root for the tigers!
Jackson thought it was so cool when the band made the "AU" sign. This was another one of his favorite things - hmmmmm - will we have a football player or band member?Our little guy all bundled up.....

We made it through the end of the 3rd quarter and stared heading back to Judi and Mike's. It wasn't a fun game as we lost 21-14 but it was awesome to take Jackson and have him experience it. We are very thankful for our tickets and hope to go again.....next year!!! Until then, we will NOT be a fairweather fan and will yell "WAR EAGLE" to all who want to hear. I know it's hard for some of you to swallow the fact that I'm not yelling "Roll Tide" (since I grew up in Tuscaloosa), but the Lord moved me to Auburn in HIS plan and I'm so glad he did. I have a wonderful husband, precious boys, amazing memories and friendships that will last a lifetime. Our heart is in Auburn and that is where it will stay.....WAAAARRRRRRRR EAGLE, HEY!



1 comment:

Ashleigh said...

Angela, I love all your pics...your boys look precious! So glad y'all had a good time in spite of the weather and the game! War Eagle!
Ashleigh